Summary: Provide specialized patient care and/or departmental research
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Responsible for providing specialized professional nursing care.
• Provide daily rounds to assess patient status.
• Assist provider when required.
o Act as first contact for patients under particular medical service.
o Removal of sutures, assist in surgical arena.
• Perform exams and tests, evaluate the results.
• Educate and counsel patients concerning pertinent information for the medical condition.
o Prepare educational materials for patient use.
2. Assist with insurance pre-authorization, coordination of ancillary testing, scheduling, and referrals.
• Contact medical insurance companies to provide comprehensive medical information in order to obtain authorization.
• Ensure all necessary testing and scheduling is complete prior to necessary procedures. Provides follow up to such.
• Work in conjunction with Clinical Scheduler to achieve all necessary prior pre-authorization, testing and scheduling is accomplished prior to necessary procedures or surgeries.
3. Provide specialized nursing assistance in research efforts.
• Compile reference materials.
• Summarize data and prepare reports.
• Draft manuals and materials.
Performance Standard: Adheres to the established Performance Expectations for WVUH Employees in the areas of People, Service, Performance Improvement, and Shared Values & Culture.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
•Heavy/Hard work: Work requires strength and/or stamina, lifting, moving, stooping, reaching positioning of patients, standing, walking, carrying of patients, materials and equipment weighing 40+lbs.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position is frequently exposed to blood and bodily fluids; possible exposure to harmful toxins. There is regular exposure to communicable disease.